A New Healthy Eatery Opens at BLVD PlaceBy Marcy de Luna
July 31, 2014
Who knew eating right could taste so good? Proving the point is the new-to-Houston, Arizona chain True Food Kitchen, located at Phase II of the posh BLVD Place near the Galleria. The globally inspired menu, developed with the help of holistic health advocate Dr. Andrew Weil, includes vegan, vegetarian, organic, gluten-free and paleo options. Here are five must-try dishes.
1. Edamame dumplings ($9). The delicate wontons, filled with edamame and white truffle oil puree, come in a light Dashi broth, topped with daikon radish and sesame seeds.
2. Thai green papaya salad with kelp noodles ($11). The Houston-only menu item comes with kelp noodles in a red chili sesame vinaigrette, shaved carrot, mint and green papaya. Avocado, cashew and toasted sesame seeds add the finishing touch.
3. The Inside Out quinoa burger ($12). Two supergrain patties (packed with protein and fiber) are filled with hummus, tomato, cucumber, red onion, avocado, feta and Tzatziki sauce. Side options include Tuscan kale salad, sweet potato hash or a little bit of both.
4. The Hangover RX ($5). Good whether you hit the town the night before or not, the refreshing drink blends coconut water, pineapple, vanilla and orange juice. For true hair of the dog, the bar serves sustainable, organic and biodynamic wines, local craft beers and cocktails made with fresh fruit, honey and other natural flavors.
5. Strawberry rhubarb crisp ($7). The summery dessert is made with organic strawberries, rhubarb and touches of cinnamon and vanilla. With homemade granola crumble and vanilla ice cream, it's a slice of heaven.