Reality Star Chef Debuts New Menu at Corner TableBy Marcy de Luna
August 1, 2014
Houston diners got a surprise when chef Bruce Molzan suddenly departed River Oaks restaurant Corner Table in June. Taking over: executive chef Ja’Nel Witt. You may know her name from past stints at Kiran’s and The Tasting Room — or as the season 11 winner of Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen.
Corner Table temporarily shut down to allow Witt time to prepare for her latest adventure. It's now reopened with an updated menu true to the restaurant's Paleo-centric theme (an emphasis on fare you can hunt or find: meat, fish, nuts, leafy greens, vegetables, seeds). Here are 5 must-try items.
1. Jumbo lump crab cake ($18). A lightly fried cake topped with shaved fennel, arugula salad and a drizzle of lemon remoulade.
2. Curry cauliflower soup ($8). A smooth puree of cauliflower, leeks and garlic, plus curry and a touch of coconut milk, make a nicely spicy bowl of soup.
3. Winning Signature Dish ($22). The (non-Paleo) pasta dish (pictured above), which won Witt the title on Hell’s Kitchen, also won a spot on the menu. The grilled jumbo shrimp are tossed in Asian-inspired pesto with cilantro, Thai basil, mint, ginger and peanuts.
4. Fig and proscuitto pizza ($16). Mission figs, proscuitto, arugula, gruyere and a balsamic reduction on regular or Paleo-style (made with tapioca and coconut flour) crust.
5. Lexington Cake ($8). Toasted coconut tres leches cake topped with hand-whipped cream and pomegranates.