Daily Digestif: Philly Vendys Return, Georges Perrier Cooks, Richard Sandoval RumorsBy Danya Henninger
April 23, 2014
Your daily roundup of Philly food tidbits
• The Philly Vendy Awards are back! Saturday, June 14, is the date of the fourth annual food truck festival for charity from the Street Vendor Project. Early bird tickets are on sale for $45 (here) and sponsorships are also available starting at just $150. Which trucks will participate? It’s up to you to nominate your favorites - do that here.
• Is Richard Sandoval taking over 10 Arts? That’s what Philly Chit Chat hears. Details of the rumor are that the Latin-American restaurant king is planning a 100-seat dining area in the Ritz-Carlton lobby space, plus a stand-alone tapas bar around the corner, where Freshii made a short-lived go. (His brothers Alfredo, Felipe and Patricio Sandoval are confirmed for a Philly move - Mercadito is due to open later this year at 21st and Chestnut.)
• At the beginning of the month, we mentioned Georges Perrier was doing a dinner with chef Patrice Rames at Bistro St. Tropez, and the date has finally arrived. On Wednesday and Thursday evenings at 6:30 PM, the pair will prepare a six-course French feast, served with wine pairings from Moore Brothers Wine for $150 per person. Call to reserve your seat for a chance to dine with the former Le Bec-Fin master (215-569-9269).
• Have beer, get happy. Iron Hill has just launched a new happy hour at all 10 brewpub locations. Instead of being Thursday-Friday-only, it’s now available every weekday from 4-6 PM. Deals include $2 off drafts plus $4-$6 wines, cocktails and apps. An after-work pint with nachos for under $10 sounds pretty good.
• South Philly live music venue slash hipster dive bar Boot & Saddle has introduced a new menu, and on it is a much-requested burger. The B&S Burger comes with smoked Gouda, braised pork belly and chile relish for $13. Also on the list are hot ham and cheese sandwiches and chilled spicy roasted beets.