Neapolitan Pizza in Wayne, Vedge in GQ, Paved Patio on East PassyunkBy Danya Henninger
May 13, 2014
Your daily roundup of Philly food tidbits
• Two new Neapolitan pizza parlors will soon open across the street from one another in Wayne, reports The Insider. One is a second branch of Phoenixville’s Vecchia Pizza Napoletana, and the other is Arde Osteria & Pizzeria, a slightly “more ambitious” second venture from the folks behind Pizzeria DiMeo’s, serving housemade salumi along with the pies. An early summer launch is expected for both.
• In a feature for GQ, Alan Richman declares that “the vegetable era has arrived.” Alongside the main piece, in which the reformed veg-hater fawns over the produce programs at NYC’s Eleven Madison Park and Blue Hill and bows to Thomas Keller’s early adoption the grow-your-own movement, is a sidebar. Who do we find at the top of the “Five Dishes That Will Make You Forget About Beef”? Our own Vedge, where Rich Landau’s salt-roasted golden beets get a big, wholly deserved shout.
• One of East Passyunk’s best outdoor patios is about to get even better. Cantina Los Caballitos is paving the triangular seating area next to its building, per Passyunk Post, which means margaritas in the sun with no fear of falling if you’re wearing heels. Supposedly, it will also lead to fewer mosquitos buzzing around your chips and salsa.
• Reading Terminal Market is seeking proposals for someone to run Kitchen @ The Market, a demonstration kitchen that seats 32 people, reports Tara Nurin. The operator must use only ingredients purchased at the market and be flexible about sharing the space. Interested? Find out more here and submit a proposal by Friday, May 16.
• Heads up on a Thursday event for whiskey lovers: at 7 PM on May 15, The Twisted Tail is hosting a Jefferson bourbon whiskey social. A $40 ticket includes a special tasting glass, roving hors d’oeuvres and plenty of the boozy brown stuff, including several rare aged varieties. Call to reserve your spot (215-558-2471).