5 Things to Know About Mcafe & Bar on 14 St.NW
By Olga Boikess
August 28, 2013
Photo by: Lorraine Fitzsimmons
Head to Mcafe & Bar in the happening 14 Street NW corridor and you'll find a Milano modern vibe. At its former incarnation in Chevy Chase, chic shoppers nibbled on its salads, flatbreads, pastas and entrees. Here you'll find a similar Italian menu, though expect changes since it is still in its soft opening stage. Here are some things to know about it.
- The contemporary design melds casual sophistication with formal touches like ornamental chandeliers above a sleek bar, and white tablecloths juxtaposed with modern white and steel chairs.
- The large windows facing 14 St. NW slide open. Expect lots of cheek kissing as passersby spot friends at indoor tables, and vice versa. A sidewalk patio is in the works.
- A pizza oven will soon fire up for its popular flatbreads.
- Some three dozen wines by the glass, draft beer, cocktails, Italian soft drinks and lots of grappa will keep the action spirited at its roomy bar. Happy hour will be a featured event.
- Iconic images of Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni near the bar rev up its hip quotient.