Who needs bacon when you have mezcal? Acquaint yourself with tequila's smoky, in-demand cousin at the six spots below.
1. The Santo Sangre at Triniti Restaurant features mezcal, tequila, aperol and lime, plus a pour of ginger beer.
2. The unique mezcal drinks at downtown bar The Pastry War includes the Mezcal and Epazote Tonic, a mix of Espadin mezcal (the most common type), tonic made with epazote (an herb with notes of lemon, mint and turpentine) and Topo Chico mineral water.
3. For something spicy, try the Paloma de Mercado (pictured above) at Caracol Restaurant. The classic drink gets an update: mezcal, grapefruit juice and lime juice mixed with housemade Tajín (Mexican hot sauce) soda.
4. The Prairie Oyster at Anvil Bar & Refuge is a delightful combination of spices, salt and artisanal mezcal, plus an egg yolk.
5. The Ahumado at Batanga is super smokin’ — sour mix and citrus balanced by smoky mezcal and smoked sea salt.