Whether stuffed, grilled or toasted, we love a good sandwich. And while there are scads of tasty hoagies in town, we've put together a list of our top 12 (in no particular order). Did we leave your top sando out? Tell us your favorite in the comment section.
1. Crunchy Chicken at Local Foods (pictured above). There's always a crowd at the counter service shop with two locations (Rice Village and Upper Kirby). We're certain it's due, at least in part, to the crunchy chicken: nut-crusted chicken with provolone, pickle, potato chips and buttermilk dressing on a pretzel bun ($11).
2. Midnight Masterpiece at BB’s Cafe. The New Orleans-themed cafe (multiple locations) serves up a meaty roast beef sandwich with a chipotle mayo-like sauce that takes the po'boy to a higher level ($9).
3. Braised BLT at Pass & Provisions. The restaurant's own Shrimp "1000" Island dressing (similar to shrimp remoulade) tops braised bacon, lettuce and tomato on a large roll ($14).
4. Pork Tenderloin at Picnic. We're all in for the box lunch option at the West University bakery, deli and coffee shop. Along with your sandwich (house-roasted pork loin with pickled red onions and ancho mayo), you get chips, a pickle, fruit salad and a cookie ($6.25 sandwich only/$9.50 box lunch).
5. Reuben Sandwich at Kenny & Ziggy's (picture below). To say that the portions at the Galleria-area delicatessen are large is an understatement. The massive sandwich (house-cured corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing on grilled rye bread) will satisfy even the heartiest appetite ($16.95).
Photo courtesy of Debora Smail
6. Lamb Pastrami at Revival Market. The Heights locale offers one of our favorite sandwiches. Lamb pastromi shares a pretzel bun with peperonata, Gruyere and brown butter aioli ($13).
7. Banh Mi at Nguyen Ngo. Located in Chinatown (Bellaire), the small cafe makes a mean banh mi complete with luxe pate and mayo on buttery French bread or croissant ($3-$4.25/cash only).
8. Eggman Sammy at Eatsie Boys. Why settle for just bacon, or just chicken poblano sausage, when (upon request) you can have both? The sandwich comes with a fried egg and cheddar cheese on a challah bun ($6-$8).
9. The Mortadella at 13 Celsius (picture below). Dive into a pile of thickly sliced, fried mortadella with pickles, tomatoes, spicy mustard, chili flakes and provolone cheese on a pretzel bun. The whole thing is grilled in a panini press and then topped with a fried egg ($12).
Photo courtesy of 13 Celsius
10. Fried Egg Sandwich at Max's Wine Dive (multiple locations). Comfort food rules at the casual restaurant and wine bar. That includes this sandwich with three fried eggs, bacon, Gruyere, lettuce, tomatoes and black truffle aioli on sourdough ($15).
11. Egg Salad at Nielsen's Delicatessen. Simple but tasty, the combination of boiled eggs, celery, paprika and homemade mayo hit a homerun at the small deli near Highland Village ($5.95-$6.25). Don't skip the sinfully good deviled eggs ($1 each).
12. Shorty Mac at H-Town Streats. The creative sandwich at the local food truck features fork-tender short rib on toasted bread with melted Provolone and macaroni 'n' cheese ($10).