Jose Garces Taking Over the World: Next Stop, Washington DCBy Danya Henninger | July 30, 2013 By Danya Henninger | July 30, 2013
Jose Garces must employ some clever physicists who have figured out how to extend time. How else can the Iron Chef possibly be doing so many things? The latest is a planned Argentinian steakhouse in Washington, DC. As yet unnamed, the restaurant will be in the Loews Madison hotel, located Downtown between K Street and Logan Circle. Early 2014 is the target date.
The DC project is in addition to several other Garces ventures, both new and on-going:
- Currently-closed Chifa will become a new Cuban diner on Washington Square;
- Distrito-branded stands will serve Garces food at Lincoln Financial Field during the upcoming Eagles season (more on that shortly);
- An outpost of Distrito will open in the new Moorestown Mall in New Jersey, joining Marc Vetri's second Osteria location;
- Volver, an intimate restaurant with a show kitchen, will open in the Kimmel Center, and Garces will cook there himself around 10 nights each month;
- Yuboka noodle bar recently launched at Revel in Atlantic City
- In Philadelphia, Amada, Tinto, JG Domestic, Garces Trading Company, Distrito and Village Whiskey are going strong;
- In Atlantic City, Garces runs outposts of Distrito, Village Whiskey and Amada (which we hear is even nicer than the Old City original);
- Chicago’s Mercat, Scottsdale’s Distrito and Palm Springs El Jefe and Tinto are running smoothly;
- With his wife, Dr. Beatriz Mirabal Garces, he gives back to the community through the Garces Family Foundation;
- That’s all in addition to making regular appearances on the Food Network’s Iron Chef America.
“Congrats on DC,” we said to Jose when we saw him at the Linc today. His smiling reply: “We’re taking over the world!” Judging from his current pace, we believe him.