Daily Digestif: Midtown Village in the News, Zavino Happy Hour, Borgata Baking CompanyBy Danya Henninger | April 15, 2014 By Danya Henninger | April 15, 2014
Your daily roundup of Philly food tidbits
• Midtown Village gets a moment in the national spotlight via an AP article focusing on the hopping food scene on 13th Street (which is what the author would prefer you call the neighborhood). The many restaurants of Marcie Turney and Valerie Safran are mentioned, as well as El Vez, Sampan, Capogiro, Zavino, Vedge, Nomad Roman, Indeblue, McGillin’s and Bru. We’d add Opa and Time to the name drop list, but all in all, it’s a great shout out.
• The Zavino outpost on the other side of town has just announced extended hours and new happy hour specials. University City pizzaphiles can now stop in for lunch and dinner seven days a week. Happy hour is also an everyday affair, with $3 beers, $4 wines, $5 cocktails and discounted snacks offered from 4:30-6:30 PM.
• Le Virtu chef Joe Cicala is in Italy right now, and he’s not only doing research for forthcoming Brigantessa, he’s also getting certified by the AVPN - the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana - so he can impress us with some real deal Neapolitan pizza knowledge when the new spot opens later this year on East Passyunk. Follow along on Twitter if you want to be jealous (like Marc Vetri was) of Italian prosciutto and pastries.
• Former Avance pastry chef Tova du Plessis has joined the ranks at The Rittenhouse, where she’ll provide sweets for Lacroix, the Library Bar and the Mary Cassatt Tea Room. Also new on staff at the boutique hotel is sommelier Justin Timsit, who has such a good grasp of wine knowledge that he earned the only perfect score in the first exam for the Court of Master Sommeliers.
• A new foil for bikini aspirations is coming to the shore this summer. May will bring the launch of the Borgata Baking Company, a new outpost in the swanky Atlantic City casino run by former White House pastry chef Thaddes DuBois. Both savory and sweet items will be available around the clock - think Napoleons, eclairs, cake pops, macarons and even cheesesteak croissants. Grand opening is May 23.