Daily Digestif: Taylor Gourmet Team Replaces Steak & Ice with PizzeriaBy Rina Rapuano | April 21, 2014 By Rina Rapuano | April 21, 2014
Your daily feed of DC food tidbits
- The Taylor Gourmet folks announced today that they have replaced Taylor Charles Steak & Ice on H Street NW with a pizzeria called Pizza Parts & Service that opened today. The shop will be open from 11 AM-10 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11-3:30 AM Friday and Saturday. Delivery is expected to launch in about two weeks, and cheesesteak lovers will allegedly be able to find their Philly cheesesteak fix at Taylor Gourmet sandwich shops soon (1320 H St. NE; 202-388-6880).
- This Thursday, more than 100 area restaurants have agreed to donate anywhere from 25% to 100% of their sales to support children and adults facing life-challenging illnesses such as cancer and HIV/AIDS as part of the citywide Dining Out for Life fundraiser for Food & Friends. A complete list of participating restaurants can be found here, and a big high five to Freddie's Beach Bar & Restaurant, Annie’s Paramount Steak House and Ristorante Tosca for being the three DC restaurants donating 100% of that evening’s proceeds to the cause.
- News surfaced today that Sugartoads Restaurant Consulting Group - owned in part by chef Robert Wiedmaier of Marcel’s, Brasserie Beck, Brabo and Mussel Bar fame - will open a Provençal-inspired restaurant in Terminal A of Reagan National Airport by summer 2015. “The menu will feature the flavors and textures of simple French country cooking with a focus on regionally sourced meats, fish and produce,” a release says. “Each seat will include an iPad and power outlet for guests to order their meal, track their flight, recharge or just browse the web.”
- Poste Moderne Brasserie revealed Friday that executive chef Dennis Marron will move to the Kimpton hotel group’s Pittsburgh location, launching the hunt for his replacement in anticipation of his July departure.
- Flight Wine Bar has debuted a new “flights of bites” happy hour food menu available from 5-7 PM weeknights and Saturday from 10-11:30 PM. Guests can choose three options to be served as mini portions on a wooden serving board for $7. Choices include a roast-beet salad with watercress, cured fennel, soft-boiled egg and tarragon yogurt; mixed wild mushrooms with figs and pancetta; a pulled-duck slider with ginger slaw; and a tomato soup cake with rum raisin compote and toasted pecans.