Daily Digestif: Zentan Starts Weekly Four-Seat Omakase Dinners this Thursday
Your daily feed of DC food tidbits
- Zentan offers a four-seat, $65 omakase option at 7 PM Thursdays starting tomorrow, with chef Jennifer Nguyen curating a different chef’s-choice menu each week based on the freshest fish, meats and vegetables available. The dinner is offered only at four seats overlooking the sushi bar and will include approximately five courses that might include gilthead sea bream and Japanese tiger prawns from Japan’s Tsukiji Market, as well as rare razor clams from Oregon. Call 202-379-4366 for reservations; note that allergies and dietary restrictions can’t be accommodated for this particular dining experience.
- The Washington Post reports that José Andrés’ America Eats Tavern, expected to reopen permanently in the Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner in a couple of months, has hired Nate Waugaman to serve as head chef. Waugaman most recently headed the kitchens at Tallula and EatBar in Arlington.
- Washingtonian provides a sneak peek with menus of chef-owner Bob Kinkead’s Campono, a casual pizzeria that opens Friday in the Watergate complex. “Expect breakfast pizzas, hearty Italian sandwiches, ample outdoor seating and more.”
- Washington City Paper reports that Mission Mexican restaurant, brought to us by the man behind the famed gas-station tacos at R&R Taqueria in Elkridge, MD opened in Dupont Circle this week. The more extensive menu at Mission will include such dishes as cactus sopes, clam soup, mole chicken and a chorizo burger, according to the report - and, of course, tacos.
- Ambar, the Balkan restaurant partly owned by celebrity chef and restaurateur Richard Sandoval, has debuted a bottomless dinner menu that gives diners two ways to indulge - unlimited small plates and Balkan specialties with bottomless drinks for $59 per person or unlimited small plates and bottomless drinks for $49 per person. Both prices exclude tax and gratuity; the entire table must order the same package; and guests have two hours to order food, cocktails and wine as part of the offer. Ambar’s full a la carte menu is also available nightly.