Free Cookies at Cava Mezze Grill Tomorrow, Plus Assaggi Bethesda Closes
Your daily feed of DC food tidbits
- All five Cava Mezze Grill locations will give away free dark chocolate and salted oat cookies from 11:30 AM-1 PM tomorrow to let customers know they now offer the baked treat, a collaboration between the fast-casual Greek spot and local baker Whisked! Baking Co. Following the free sample hours, the cookies will cost $2.75 and will be available at each location going forward.
- Bethesda magazine elaborates on the Robert Dyer report that Assaggi has closed on Bethesda Row, with the owner selling the place to an unnamed Massachusetts chef.
- Washington City Paper follows up on last weekend’s Alexandria food-truck vote, reporting that food trucks can now “vend at parks, schools, churches, farmers' markets, and other private property over a 16-month trial period beginning July 1.” Food trucks still aren’t allowed to park on city streets and sell food, however.
- Republic in Takoma Park has launched a spring happy hour and revamped cocktail menu, with three new cocktails featuring housemade bitter lemon syrup. Happy hour runs from 3-7 PM weekdays and also includes $1 Chesapeake Bay oysters, select cocktails for $5, $2 Natty Bohs and a host of other deals (6939 Laurel Ave.; 301-270-3000).
- The newly minted Dino’s Grotto has also begun hosting a happy hour from 5-7 PM and from 10 PM to closing, when the Shaw Italian spot offers $12 mussel pots, a $15 burger and brew deal and discounts on cocktails, beer, wine and antipasti (1914 Ninth St. NW; 202-686-2966).
- RareSweets Bakeshop announced today it will open its first bakery in CityCenterDC (963 Palmer Alley NW) this fall. Pastry chef and owner Meredith Tomason, who has worked as pastry chef at Craft, Tribeca Treats and Magnolia Bakery in New York City, will craft modern versions of American classic heirloom cakes, ice creams and confections. While you wait for the shop, her sweets can be found at pop-ups, Each Peach Market, La Colombe and Washington’s Green Grocer.