Deals & Events
Plan Ahead: Where to Celebrate Bastille Day
If St. Patrick’s Day and Cinco de Mayo are any indication, Washingtonians love to throw themselves into an internationally themed party — whether they hail from Ireland or Mexico or Sheboygan, WI.
And now that Bastille Day is upon us, you can bet that we’ll all take to the streets with torches ready to storm a prison and start a revolution. Okay, maybe not. But it is a great excuse to embrace our inner francophile, drink some great wine and party like it’s 1789.
This year, the July 14 holiday falls on a Monday, so several places are stretching out the party over the weekend. Here’s how some local restaurants are celebrating what the French call La Fête Nationale:
- L'Enfant Cafe Bar in Adams Morgan hosts its 10th annual Bastille Day Block Party Saturday from 3-11 PM, when revelers will find a beer garden, can-can dancers, a masquerade ball, the French maid race (which starts at 6 PM) and a chance to win a trip to France. Tickets cost $10, and the event takes place on Vernon Street NW between 18th and 19th streets NW (202-319-1800).
- Béarnaise is offering a chance to win a Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut Yellowboam for those who make brunch reservations this Saturday or Sunday at the restaurant. The prize is a limited-edition 3 liter bottle of Yellow Label Champagne sealed with gold and nestled in a lacquered wooden box. The winner will be announced Monday (313 Pennsylvania Ave. SE; 202-450-4800).
- 2941 Restaurant offers a seven-course Bastille Day dinner Sunday from 5-8 PM for $75 per person, plus $60 per person for wine pairings. Find the full menu here; call the restaurant for reservations, which are recommended (2941 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA; 703-270 1500).
- Bastille celebrates its namesake holiday Sunday with a daylong $39 prix fixe menu (excluding tax and gratuity) available from 11:30 AM-8:30 PM. Courses, also available a la carte, include such starters as shrimp and corn beignets; entrees like duck confit with grilled peaches; and desserts that include chocolate pot de crème and a citrus-cantaloupe panna cotta (1201 N. Royal St., Alexandria, VA; 703-519-3776).
- Central Michel Richard hosts a party Saturday from 5-11 PM, when the bistro will offer 20% off bottles of French wines, a special menu to supplement the regular one, complimentary cheese puffs for diners and music from the jazz quartet Laissez Foure from 6-10 PM (1001 Pennsylvania Ave. NW; 202-626-0015).