Deals & Events
Weekend Planner: Kentucky Derby Parties, National Harbor Wine & FoodBy Rina Rapuano | May 1, 2014 By Rina Rapuano | May 1, 2014
Zaytinya wraps up its Greek Easter celebration with an agora, or Greek outdoor market, featuring Greek artisanal goods from local artists and vendors, as well as live music. The free event runs from 11:30 AM-4 PM and will offer attendees complimentary loukamades - a traditional fried pastry drizzled with honey and cinnamon syrup - as well as samples of other foods, wines and spirits (701 Ninth St. NW; 202-638-0800).
Taco Bamba gets a jump on Cinco de Mayo with a taco celebration at sister restaurant Del Campo in Penn Quarter Saturday from noon-3 PM. The Falls Church taqueria has invited other notable taco-makers, including Oyamel and Casa Oaxaca, to come serve their tacos - and participate in a guest-voted taco competition. Tickets, which include food and beverages, cost $30 and partially benefit La Cocina (777 I St. NW; 202-289-7377).
Here are a few places hosting Kentucky Derby parties this weekend:
- The Brixton hosts a no-cover party starting at 2 PM, when the mint juleps will flow on the rooftop deck and second-floor lodge. Southern belle and gentleman attire is encouraged.
- Poste hosts an all-day derby-themed patio party that includes an afternoon of music, competitive Wii horse races and a viewing of the race at 6:15 PM. Tickets cost $75-$200.
- The Round Robin Bar at the Willard InterContinental hosts its 28th annual Bonnets and Bow-Ties Kentucky Derby Party from 3-6 PM. An $80 (including tax and gratuity) cover fee includes red carpet entry, two handcrafted Henry Clay Mint Juleps, a traditional Southern buffet, live music, prizes and raffles throughout the event. Call 202-637-7350 for reservations.
- Logan Tavern will serve traditional Kentucky Derby appetizers, such as ham biscuits and fried green tomatoes, as well as Kentucky bourbon flights, mint juleps and a Ginger Arnold Palmer made with housemade ginger lemonade and sweet tea vodka.
- The Heights will serve hot browns and bourbon balls, as well as drink specials and a live viewing of the Kentucky Derby on TVs at the bar.
- Tickets are still on sale for Sound Bites, a music, food and drink fest that benefits DC Central Kitchen. The event takes place Sunday from 1-5 PM rain or shine at the Ronald Reagan Building’s Woodrow Wilson Plaza. Find tickets here.
- Grapeseed hosts a Chessie Fest Saturday from noon to 3 PM in celebration of local, sustainable seafood and to benefit the Oyster Recovery Partnership, a nonprofit that works to restore the Chesapeake Bay. Beer, prizes and food will be available for $25 in advance; $30 at the door (4865 Cordell Ave., Bethesda). Tickets can be purchased here.
- National Harbor Wine & Food takes place this weekend, with tickets ranging from $30 for designated drivers to $199 for two-day VIP entry. Such local chefs as Mike Isabella of Graffiato, Rock Harper, Victor Albisu of Del Campo, Scott Drewno of The Source and Bryan Voltaggio of Range will take to the cooking stage at different points throughout the event.